Hors ligne Fremen

• Global Moderator
  • raahaxe lovely
    • Page Youtube
  • AxeFx: AxeFX II
  • Firmware: 18.04
Metallica
« le: 28 mars 2014, 03:32:15 »
Nouvelle chanson des Four Horsemen, utilisant l'Axe, avec un bien meilleur son que sur Antarctica (streaming pourri d'un mix in ears) ou les Grammy Awards (ingé son aux abonnés absents) :

"Fly on the wall footage shot by the MetOnTour reporter on March 16, 2014 in Bogotá, Colombia. Footage includes the band in the Tuning Room working on "Lords of Summer" as well as "...And Justice for All." Also included is the new "By Request intro video with some commentary from James, the band in the pre-show huddle, and "Blackened" from the show."

Cerise sur le gateau, les guitar techs de Metallica interviennent sur le forum :

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/83548-metallica-using-axe-fxs-stage-3.html#post1016918

Hi everybody,
My name is Chad and I am James' guitar tech. Thanks for the kind words regarding the new guitar rigs we have going. Special thanks to "Guitarjon" for his enthusiasm in recreating all those old album tones! Jon's hard work and Fractal's technology and dedication to quality, realistic amplifier/cabinet sounds make having these sounds at home a real possibility. If I've learned one thing in the last six months of AxeFx immersion is that you need both human talent and technology that can match your imagination and what you want to hear in your head. The Fractal team has been (beyond) extremely helpful in helping us realize our new AxeFx guitar rigs.

Maybe I can offer a few facts for those of you who are interested in return.
Changing from our tried and true analogue guitar rigs to AxeFx systems was a giant leap for the band and us tech's alike. Everyone felt that the technology provided by FAS was good enough to make this kind of change. There were several reasons to try this. Once the problem of getting our equipment to Antarctica was established, we had a reasonable excuse to make a leap of faith. The Grammy's backed that up.

We began to duplicate our live rigs last fall virtually with the AxeFx. The tones have been a work in progress since day 1. The tones have changed slightly even since the beginning of this South America run and will probably continue to be tweaked and experimented with. The ability to now listen to James play for two plus hours lets me hone in on areas of the sound that need changing or tweaking or eq'ing. The first two shows were played without the Matrix amps and 4X12's. Someone mentioned a lack of feedback or sustain. This was true and we were working on solutions for that without resorting to cabinets. In the end we felt that ditching the cabinets wasn't an option. We needed to try it.

My theory has been to replicate James' live rig first, then to build on these sounds as we go. I think this is a living breathing beast that we will "feed" as we move forward. Some of the reasons we felt that moving to the Fractal is the amount of control. I can change tubes in an amp on a stage in the middle of a some God forsaken field without any hesitation. As a touring tech, there are obvious advantages to not having to maintain tube amps during a normal show day. I can concentrate on how it sounds rather than why it doesn't work or why it sounds different today.

This leads us to the consistency factor. We have three going on four systems of gear. They have never sounded the same between them for obvious analogue reasons. We often see our "Black System" and our "Blue System" in the same week on tour. This is for shipping/cartage reasons. If you knew how much money it cost to move this equipment around the world, you would shit yourself. This brings us to how much weight and space we are now saving by using the AxeFx rigs. Day in and day out, our new "digital" rigs will make it possible for the band to play more shows due to reduced shipping costs alone.

The live guitar rig needs to please James, the monitor engineer, the FOH engineer and our recording engineer. The AxeFx is doing that for us. One long standing issue has been the 4X12's in the isolation boxes (large road cases with cabinets, SONEX and microphones inside. They would build up in the low mids and hamper the low end detail we can now get with the Cab Sims. It's like dialing back the "Proximity" control on the AXFX to a pleasing level. With James right hand, and how fast these notes need to develop and get out of the way of the next note, we are now experiencing a much tighter sound. You all know how much control you have with your own unit regarding the amps and cabinets and drive and shape and feel so I don't need to tell you that we get to do the same. The trick for a tech like me is to be able to translate what a guitar player wants to hear and apply it to the technology to get a desired result. Having way more than your typical 8 or 9 amp knobs is a new toolbox I get to use to do this.

Anyway, I use OUTPUT 1 for two discreet amp sound outputs. One Diezel and one Boogie sound. I use a second AXFX for the clean sounds (JC 120 e.t.c.) I am switching between the heavy and clean sounds via the tried and true VooDoo Labs Ground Control and Audio Switcher. [I used the RJM pedalboard last year with Def Leppard last summer and liked it a lot too] All Effects are programmed into scenes for seamless switching as was mentioned. OUTPUT 2 is for the live cabinets. I am also sending some signal from the CLEAN AXFX into INPUT 1 LEFT of the HEAVY AXFX to send this to the live cab as well if needed. I am using one TM block in the Boogie chain, stereo cabinets and thus far I have not had to use the EQ block I have placed before the output just in case. There has been no need!

Again, thanks for your interest and it is nice to hear positive feedback thus far. We will be working and listening as we go but we are very happy with what we are producing. Please don't get hung up on what our presets look like. You guys have the all the means right there in front of you to create exactly what you want to hear. Hell, Guitarjon gave you the rest!
Happy Tweaking,
Chad

Thanks again to Matt and the rest at FAS for live fixes and updates throughout our long programming days!

(...)Some artists are more hands on than others. In our case, James wanted to hear what we could bring without sitting down and learning the gear. Once we began, we had a few sit downs to listen and talk about the feel and the response and the tones. I know what direction things need to go and I get James' input as we go.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/83548-metallica-using-axe-fxs-stage-4.html#post1017499

Hi Guys, I am Justin Kirks' tech, I thought I would chime in and echo all Chads' statements about the help we have had from FAS getting to this point. Also it is very encouraging to hear all the positive stuff about the tones from you guys.

I am still using the Dunlop rack Wah as I sometimes need 8 pedals on the stage. Because it is a TRS system (just three wires for the switch and control ) I can use the audio tie lines to get back to my rack rather than having to home run each run.

Re the tones, the band have a lot of confidence in us, together with the Monitor engineer , Front of house engineer and Recording engineer to know that we are "in the ball park" and it is more likely that I will tweak the gain .1 or .2 either way to make it "feel right" than any major changes. If Kirk is needing to cut through in his mix we will do this with EQ on the monitor board for his ear mix rather than the Axe, as that affects everyone.

As we get a chance to hear Kirk and James play the set every night we feel we can hone these tones even further

Thanks to all that have posted positive comment and some great tones there guitarjon :-)

The Cabs are purely for feel and feedback everything everyone hears in pure AXE

Cheers

Justin

Cela dit je continue à préférer de loin Megadeth   ;) ;D :P

Hors ligne AlGrenadine

• Administrator
  • AxeFx: AxeFx III
  • Firmware: toujours le dernier :)
Re : Metallica
« Réponse #1 le: 28 mars 2014, 08:22:22 »
Je trouve le son de la 1ere vidéo assez mauvais ^^
Mais sur la 2e je suppose que c'est le son de leur in-ears et là c'est pas mal, même si ça manque de gain

Hors ligne Fremen

• Global Moderator
  • raahaxe lovely
    • Page Youtube
  • Firmware: 18.04
« Réponse #2 le: 28 mars 2014, 08:47:14 »
Je t'avoue que je n’ai rien regardé faute de temps, j'ai juste donné les liens

cela dit, tu remarqueras que beaucoup de personnes semblent obsédées par l'idée d'avoir le son exact de guitare sur tel ou tel album, à voir la popularité du thread lancé par Guitarjon sur le forum officiel. J'avoue que cela m'intrigue, car il faut le dire, le son de Metallica sur ses premiers albums est surtout tributaire du manque de moyens qu'ils avaient à l'époque ; amha, ce n'est qu'à partir du Black Album qu'ils ont un un son méritant le détour. Sur les premiers, il est tout fuzzy ou fin, je ne vois pas l'intérêt de copier ces sons là. A ma grande surprise, des samples de Guitarjon, c'est ceux de l'album Load qui me plaisent le plus, la ça sonne carrément très bien je trouve. Je devrais réécouter cet album…
« Modifié: 28 mars 2014, 09:04:07 par Fremen »

Hors ligne AlGrenadine

• Administrator
  • AxeFx: AxeFx III
  • Firmware: toujours le dernier :)
« Réponse #3 le: 28 mars 2014, 08:49:30 »
Je suis d'accord, sauf pour la "à partir du black album" ;) Je dirais uniquement sur le black album.
Après, Metallica a disparu...

Hors ligne Algone

• Global Moderator
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
  • AxeFx: AxeFX standard
  • Firmware: J'en mets plus
« Réponse #4 le: 28 mars 2014, 13:16:00 »
Bah je me rappelle à l'époque de "And justice For All" quand l'album est sortit leur son de gratte qu'ils en avaient fait baver plus d'un.
Là sur la vidéo je trouve qu'ils ont un son bien Old School avec leur matos Hi Tech Next Gen  ;D

Hors ligne duguy

• Global Moderator
  • Axe's geek
  • Firmware: The last
« Réponse #5 le: 09 avril 2015, 21:24:54 »
Gros up je me suis fait ce petit preset aujourd'hui en matchant à l'écoute le son live de james het particulièrement. L'ir est une OH HGE MES-ST V30 EN EL34  LV 03.

Dites moi ce que vous en pensez, c'est vraiment assez spécifique comme ça et j'avoue que combiner deux amplis comme ça c'est pas ma spécialité de base lol.

Hors ligne Algone

• Global Moderator
« Réponse #6 le: 10 avril 2015, 00:25:55 »
J'ai plein de trucs en ce moment mais j'essaierai de tester ça  ;)

Hors ligne duguy

• Global Moderator
  • Axe's geek
« Réponse #7 le: 10 avril 2015, 09:51:57 »
Ouais hésitez à me dire tous comment ça ressort chez, c'est un son spécial quand même et tweaker deux amplis en même temps c'est pas easy lol.

Hors ligne Algone

• Global Moderator
« Réponse #8 le: 10 avril 2015, 16:59:09 »
Je l'ai trouvé un peu light, enfin tout dépend de quelle période de Metallica tu t'es inspiré, And Justice et Black Album c'était plus creusé et tranchant, bon de souvenir aussi il y a longtemps que j'en écoute plus  :P
Après sinon en tant que tel il sonne bien, il est équilibré et propre  ;)

Hors ligne duguy

• Global Moderator
  • Axe's geek
« Réponse #9 le: 10 avril 2015, 17:13:55 »
Ahah lol c'est pas inspiré d'un album mais du son live de james hetfield actuel.

Hors ligne Algone

• Global Moderator
« Réponse #10 le: 10 avril 2015, 18:06:21 »
Ah ok alors oui ça colle bien au son de la vidéo, je suis trop habitué aux accordage bas du coup je trouve tout light  ;D

Hors ligne duguy

• Global Moderator
  • Axe's geek
« Réponse #11 le: 10 avril 2015, 18:14:27 »
Pareil mec ça me fait trop bizarre de jouer en mi lol .